The caramel Sugar Daddy was made in 1927, under the improbable name of the "Papa Sucker." Fortunately, candy-maker James O. Welch Co. changed the name and added the Sugar Babies and the chocolate-covered Sugar Mama. The decision highlights the role marketing was playing in commerce - by creating a "family" of candies, customers could buy the whole set...or at least consider it with every purchase. James O. Welch Co. also made such notables as the Junior Mints. One of the two brothers who founded the company left and helped start the John Birch Society.- a caramel-lovers dream, all caramel, nothing but caramel.